|First basemen||Team||BTP||Time frame||Second basemen||Team||BTP|
|Miguel Cabrera||Tigers||12.0||2016||Jose Altuve||Astros||12.5|
|Chris Davis||Orioles||18.5||2015-16||Jose Altuve||Astros||19.5|
|Miguel Cabrera||Tigers||65.3||2011-16||Robinson Cano||Mariners||43.5|
|Albert Pujols||Angels||182.3||1995-2016||Jeff Kent||Retired||109.7|
|Albert Pujols||Angels||182.3||Active career||Robinson Cano||Mariners||75.4|
| Details, top 5 lists: Top 1B by time frame
|| Details, top 5 lists: Top 2B by time frame
|Shortstops||Team||BTP||Time frame||Third basemen||Team||BTP|
|Manny Machado||Orioles||12.7||2016||Manny Machado||Orioles||12.7|
|Manny Machado||Orioles||20.2||2015-16||Adrian Beltre||Rangers||22.0|
|Troy Tulowitzki||Blue Jays||39.1||2011-16||Adrian Beltre||Rangers||47.9|
|Miguel Tejada||Retired||102.3||1995-2016||Alex Rodriguez||Released||187.0|
|Troy Tulowitzki||Blue Jays||59.8||Active career||* Alex Rodriguez||Released||187.0|
| Details, top 5 lists: Top SS by time frame
|| Details, top 5 lists: Top 3B by time frame
|Matt Wieters||Orioles||11.0||2016||Mike Trout||Angels||12.5|
|Russell Martin||Blue Jays||15.5||2015-16||Mike Trout||Angels||24.5|
|Brian McCann||Yankees||35.4||2011-16||Mike Trout||Angels||49.0|
|Mike Piazza||Retired||95.7||1995-2016||Manny Ramirez||Retired||167.2|
|Brian McCann||Yankees||58.4||Active career||Carlos Beltran||Rangers||104.9|
| Details, top 5 lists: Top CA by time frame
|| Details, top 10 lists: Top OF by time frame
|Designated hitters||Team||BTP||Time frame||Starting pitchers||Team||BTP|
|Kendrys Morales||Royals||8.5||2016||Max Scherzer||Nationals||25.7|
|Edwin Encarnacion||Blue Jays||18.4||2015-16||Clayton Kershaw||Dodgers||50.1|
|Edwin Encarnacion||Blue Jays||46.6||2011-16||Clayton Kershaw||Dodgers||150.2|
|Albert Pujols||Angels||182.3||1995-2016||Randy Johnson||Retired||278.8|
|Albert Pujols||Angels||182.3||Active career||CC Sabathia||Yankees||185.0|
| Details, top 5 lists: Top DH by time frame
|| Details, top 10 lists: Top P by time frame
|Closing pitchers||Team||BTP||Time frame||Overall||Team||BTP|
|Alex Colome||Rays||9.0||2016||Max Scherzer||Nationals||25.7|
|Familia Jeurys||Mets||16.0||2015-16||Clayton Kershaw||Dodgers||50.1|
|Craig Kimbrel||Red Sox||57.7||2011-16||Clayton Kershaw||Dodgers||150.2|
|Trevor Hoffman||Retired||129.4||1995-2016||Randy Johnson||Retired||278.8|
|Francisco Rodriguez||Tigers||63.4||Active career||* Alex Rodriguez||Released||187.0|
| Details, top 5 lists: Top CP by time frame
Active players are shown on the team with whom they finished the 2016 season.
A look at Box-Toppers points leaders by position over several time frames
Here are Box-Toppers points leaders at each position over a variety of time frames.
For example, the all-time leader, Randy Johnson leads with 278.8 career Box-Toppers points (earned since 1995, when Box-Toppers tracking began). Johnson also leads in Box-Toppers points among all pitchers since 1995.
The chart above shows the top player at each position over several time frames—over the past season (2016), the past two seasons (2015-16), the past six seasons (2011-16) and “all-time”—the past 22 seasons (since 1995, when Box-Toppers tracking began). Also shown are the top active players by position in career Box-Toppers points (Active career). Links to posts showing the top five or top 10 players at each position over several time frames are also included.
Here is a brief summary of the leaders by position. More detailed information on each position (including top five or 10 rankings by time frame) can be found by clicking on the position links:
- First base: Albert Pujols leads all-time, Miguel Cabrera leads past season and past six seasons.
- Second base: Jeff Kent leads all-time, Jose Altuve leads past season.
- Shortstop: Miguel Tejada leads all-time over Derek Jeter.
- Third base: Alex Rodriguez leads all-time, Manny Machado and Adrian Beltre lead in recent seasons.
- Catcher: Mike Piazza leads all-time, Brian McCann leads active catchers in career points.
- Outfield: Manny Ramirez leads all-time, Carlos Beltran leads active outfielders in career points, Mike Trout leads in recent seasons.
- Designated hitter: Albert Pujols leads all-time, Kendrys Morales and Edwin Encarnacion lead in recent seasons.
- Pitcher: Randy Johnson leads all-time, CC Sabathia and Clayton Kershaw lead active pitchers in career points.
- Closing pitcher: Trevor Hoffman leads all-time over all-time saves leader Mariano Rivera.
About Box-Toppers—Box-Toppers tracks who most helps their team win the most games. Using standard box score statistics, Box-Toppers uses a simple formula to determine a Player of the Game for each Major League Baseball game played. That player is the person who contributed most to his team’s win. In regular season games, players earn 1.0 Box-Toppers point for being named Player of the Game and can earn bonus points for being Player of the Day or top player or batter in their league for the day.
Box-Toppers strives for accuracy. See a mistake in a post? A wrong name, wrong team, grammar error, spelling goof, etc.? Thanks for pointing it out! Contact Box-Toppers here. Let's fix it and make it right.
- Top 100 players “all-time” (since 1995), past six seasons (2011-2016), past two seasons (2015-16) and past season (2016).
- Top 10 overall players, plus top 10 batters and pitchers “all-time” (since 1995).
- Top 10 overall players, plus top 10 batters and pitchers by league past six seasons (2011-2016), past two seasons (2015-16) and past season (2016).