Giants pitcher Madison Bumgarner is Tuesday’s Box-Toppers Player of the Day and rises to 18th in player rankings.
Also Tuesday, two players rose in Box-Toppers top 10 season player rankings:
Top 10 playersHere are the top 10 players in Box-Toppers points (BTP) for the 2015 season as of Aug. 11.
|1||deGrom, Jacob 3343||pi sp||nym nl||17.4|
|2||Price, David 2593||pi sp||tor al||16.1|
|3||Scherzer, Max 2588||pi sp||dc nl||16.0|
|4||Gray, Sonny 3259||pi sp||oak al||15.8|
|5||Hernandez, Felix 2064||pi sp||sea al||15.4|
|6||Harvey, Matt 3075||pi sp||nym nl||15.4|
|7||Kershaw, Clayton 2494||pi sp||lad nl||15.0|
|8||Greinke, Zack 1871||pi sp||lad nl||15.0|
|9||Sale, Chris 2806||pi sp||chi al||14.4|
|10||Arrieta, Jake 2738||pi sp||chi nl||14.4|
- Mets pitcher Matt Harvey rose to sixth place with 15.4 Box-Toppers points.
- Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke rose to eighth place with 15.0 Box-Toppers points.
Plus, Ichiro Suzuki of the Marlins, with his first Player of the Game honor of the season, has now earned Box-Toppers points in 15 straight seasons.
Player of the Day—Bumgarner pitched a complete game five-hitter, allowing one run and striking out 12, in the 3-1 win over the Astros.
Bumgarner earns 2.0 Box-Toppers points for being Player of the Day, giving him 11.0 for the season. He is the 24th player with 10 or more Box-Toppers points this season and ranks 18th among all players, ninth among National League pitchers.
American League Player of the Day—White Sox pitcher Carlos Rodon pitched seven scoreless innings, striking out 11 and allowing four hits, in the 3-0 win over the Angels.
National League Batter of the Day—Jedd Gyorko of the Padres homered and went 2-for-4, driving in four runs, in the 11-6 win over the Reds.
American League Batter of the Day—Joe Mauer of the Twins doubled and went 2-for-3, scoring once and driving in one run, in the 3-2 win over the Rangers.
Rankings—Two players rose in Box-Toppers top 10 season player rankings after earning Player of the Game honors Tuesday:
- Mets pitcher Matt Harvey rose to sixth place with 15.4 Box-Toppers points. Harvey (8IP 4H 0R 4K W in the 4-0 win over the Rockies) earns 1.0 Box-Toppers point and ranks third among NL pitchers, behind Jacob deGrom of the Mets (17.4) and Max Scherzer of the Nationals (16.0).
- Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke rose to eighth place with 15.0 Box-Toppers points. Greinke (6IP 6H 0R 6K W in the 5-0 win over the Nationals) earns 1.0 point and ranks fifth among NL pitchers. Greinke also now has 140.7 career Box-Toppers points and ranks 21st among all players since 1995, when Box-Toppers record keeping began. He trails 20th place player, Jim Thome (146.7).
Notable—There were five players who earned Player of the Game honors Tuesday who now have more than 10 Box-Toppers points on the season. In addition to Bumgarner, Harvey and Greinke, the other two are:
- Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco (8IP 4H 2R 8K ND in the 5-4, 16-inning win over the Yankees) earns 1.0 Box-Toppers point, giving him 14.0 for the season. He ranks 11th among all players and fifth among AL pitchers.
- Mariners pitcher Taijuan Walker (6IP 5H 2R 6K ND in the 6-5, 10-inning win over the Orioles) earns 1.0 Box-Toppers point, giving him 10.7 for the season. He becomes the 25th player with 10 or more Box-Toppers points this season and ranks 20th among all players, 10th among AL pitchers.
Streak—Ichiro Suzuki of the Marlins has now earned Box-Toppers points for 15 straight seasons after earning his first Player of the Game honor of the season on Tuesday.
Suzuki (1-2 R BI in the 5-4, 10-inning win over the Red Sox) earns 1.0 Box-Toppers point. He earned his first points in 2001 with the Mariners. His best season was 2007 with the Mariners, when he had 8.0 Box-Toppers points, ninth among AL outfielders. In 2014, he had 1.0 Box-Toppers point with the Yankees. He has 51.7 career Box-Toppers points, which ranks sixth among active NL outfielders.
Scoring—Bumgarner earns 2.0 Box-Toppers points for being Player of the Day and Rodon earns 1.7 Box-Toppers points for being AL Player of the Day. Gyorko and Mauer each earn 1.5 Box-Toppers points for being their league’s Batter of the Day. All of Tuesday’s other Players of the Game (listed in the chart below) earn 1.0 Box-Toppers point.
About Box-Toppers—Box-Toppers tracks who most helps their team win the most games. Using standard box score statistics, Box-Toppers uses a simple formula to determine a Player of the Game for each Major League Baseball game played. That player is the person who contributed most to his team’s win. In regular season games, players earn 1.0 Box-Toppers point for being named Player of the Game and can earn bonus points for being Player of the Day or top player or batter in their league for the day.
Top player from each game
Listed from highest to lowest Box-Toppers game score
|MLB||14.0||Giants||Madison Bumgarner (W,13-6)||-||-||-||-||-||-||9.0||5||1||1||0||12|
|AL||13.0||White Sox||Carlos Rodon (W,5-4)||-||-||-||-||-||-||7.0||4||0||0||1||11|
|8.0||Mets||Matt Harvey (W,11-7)||-||-||-||-||-||-||8.0||4||0||0||0||4|
|6.0||Dbacks||Jeremy Hellickson (W,8-8)||-||-||-||-||-||-||8.0||7||1||0||0||6|
|6.0||Rays||Erasmo Ramirez (W,9-4)||-||-||-||-||-||-||7.0||5||0||0||0||4|
|6.0||Royals||Yordano Ventura (W,7-7)||-||-||-||-||-||-||6.0||2||0||0||6||8|
|5.0||Dodgers||Zack Greinke (W,12-2)||-||-||-||-||-||-||6.0||6||0||0||1||6|
|4.0||Cardinals||Trevor Rosenthal (S,34)||-||-||-||-||-||-||1.0||0||0||0||0||3|
|BAT||3.0||Padres||Jedd Gyorko, 2B||4||1||2||4||1||0||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|3.0||Blue Jays||Drew Hutchison (W,11-2)||-||-||-||-||-||-||7.0||4||2||2||2||6|
|1.0||Cubs||Anthony Rizzo, 1B||3||0||2||2||1||1||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|BAT||1.0||Twins||Joe Mauer, 1B||3||1||2||1||1||0||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1.0||Marlins||Ichiro Suzuki, RF||2||1||1||1||2||0||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|`Denotes that the pitcher had a no-decision in the game and did not pick up a win or a save.|